Did you know that problems in your mouth can affect the rest of your body!
Everybody knows that poor dental care can lead to dental cavities, but do you know that pure oral hygiene can also result in serious health problems.
Highlighted major areas of concerns are:
- Heart disease – Bacteria from inflammation of the gums and periodontal disease can enter your bloodstream and travel to the arteries in the heart and cause atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries).It can lead to strokes, heart attacks, endocarditis.
- Respiratory infections -Gum disease bacteria can cause infection in your lungs, including pneumonia
- Pregnancy and Birth – the Periodontal disease has been linked to premature birth and low birth weight of the child
- Diabetes – Diabetes reduces body resistance to infections and can affect the development of gum disease. Inflammation of the gum tissue and periodontal disease can make it harder to control your blood sugar, as well, and make your diabetes symptoms worse.
- Other conditions that might be linked to oral health include eating disorders, rheumatoid arthritis,
Alzheimer’s disease, head and neck cancers.